Senator Ruben Gallego is being linked to the Swalwell controversy; is there any merit to the claims?
By Easton Martin | April 15, 2026
Senator Ruben Gallego (D-AZ) is forcefully denying online allegations linking him to a viral video involving former Representative Eric Swalwell, whose political career collapsed this week following a series of sexual misconduct claims.
The controversy intensified after a video began circulating on social media, purportedly showing Swalwell in a compromising position in a hotel room. Online commentators, including former Congressman George Santos and political accounts like “The Patriot Oasis,” have shared the footage while suggesting that Gallego was the second man visible in the room.
Gallego addressed the rumors directly on Wednesday, labeling them an “absolute lie” and a targeted campaign of misinformation.
”I was not sitting next to him, I was not in the room, I was nowhere,” Gallego told reporters in Washington. “Right-wing political operatives are pushing this narrative that somehow I was in that room with Eric Swalwell, and that is an absolute lie.”
The denial comes as the Arizona Senator attempts to navigate the fallout of his long-standing friendship with Swalwell. Earlier this month, Gallego initially defended the California Democrat on social media, dismissing early rumors of misconduct as political attacks. However, as more details emerged, including allegations of sexual assault from a former staffer, Gallego abruptly reversed course. On Friday, he withdrew his endorsement for Swalwell’s California gubernatorial bid, describing the reported behavior as “indefensible.”
”I messed up. I’m human,” Gallego said on Tuesday, acknowledging that while he had heard “flirty” rumors regarding Swalwell in the past, he believed his friend led a “double life” and was unaware of any predatory behavior.
Swalwell resigned from the House of Representatives on Monday and has suspended his gubernatorial campaign. The House Ethics Committee continues to investigate the claims, which include allegations of rape dating back to 2018.









